Saturday, December 13, 2008

Snow in Siegerland

Today I awoke with my alarm a little after 7am and when I looked out of the window of my hotel, I was surprised to see that it was snowing. The view was breathtaking. I am staying in a small village called Freudenburg that has narrow, quiet streets flanked with black and white, half-timbered houses. Businesses have quaint, curly iron signs and the streets are decorated with stars and greenery for Christmas. Add the snow that fell this morning and you have a winter wonderland that is quiet and mystical.

Thankfully, this snow did not prevent Silvia from driving me us to Münster. Our plans included touring Münster before my train to Bremen and the second part of my trip. The Siegen area was covered in snow and traffic had to go slow because if it, but by the time we had reached Münster, the snow was non-existant and all was dry.

Münster's old town is very beautiful and you would never guess that most of the lovely buildings were destroyed by Americans during WWII. Unlike some other destroyed towns, this one was rebuilt in the same old style that had been there before instead of the ugly, cheap 50's style that many other cities in the world rebuilt with.

Münster is also a town of bikes. Both the abundance of bikes and the architecture reminded me of Amsterdam. There were hundreds of bicyclists going this way and that way all over the town and they were my kind of bike where you can sit up straight and see the view.

No comments: