Saturday, August 16, 2008

Solo me: Thursday July 31, 2008

Graham had signed up for a guided bike tour for today and it was scheduled to begin at 10am today. What they didn't tell us when we signed up, was that the bike rental had to be done somewhere else in town. So we squandered the morning, killing time, only to find out at 10am that we had to race to the other end of town to rent his bike. We were supposed to go to Patschneider to rent it, but we saw Bacher which was was closer and we rented it there. They seemed very nice and told us about tours that they have everyday. When we come back to Serfaus, I will definitely try a bike tour from this place. I stayed behind to pay for the bike (19 Euros for 24 hours) as Graham pedaled back to the Geiger Sport Hotel to join the tour that was waiting for him.

I was now on my own for several hours. I rode up Komperdell intending to do the Panorama Genußweg (I had found it on a map and now knew the correct way), but on the way up, I couldn't find my water and didn't think it was wise to hike on my own without some. So I rode back down, bought some in the grocery store and rode back up on the Sunlinerbahn and followed a route back down to Serfaus that traveled through the woods. It was a very nice walk with woods, meadows, lots of flowers and interesting wooden hay huts scattered about.

The route took me across the meadows behind our hotel and ended around the corner from the hotel. I waited in the room for Graham after sending him a text to tell him where I was. His bike ride ended up coming into town also just behind our hotel and he left the group at that point. It was a tough ride, but he was very proud of the fact that despite being the only participant without cycle clothes and gloves, he was one of the strongest riders. He really seemed to enjoy the ride.

After he showered we went out shopping. I was looking for some gifts from my parents to thank them for pet sitting Dexter and Delilah. After successfully finding something, we were need the cable cars, so we rode up the Sunliner again and relaxed on a bench at the top admiring the view. We couldn't stay too long because the bahns stop running at 5pm.

Back at the hotel we watched TV for an hour before going to dinner. I ate a really nice pork dish.

Tonight we are having a night in. No shows to watch, just resting our weary legs and watching a bit of Austrian TV. I also wrote my last postcards and organized my suitcase. The end of our week here is getting too close. I will miss this place.

No comments: