Sunday, December 14, 2008

Immersion Bremen


Today we visited the Focke Museum in Bremen and I ate a traditional dish. It was a day for being immersed in all things Bremisch.

The museum has everything from the history of Bremen itself from its earliest days, to art, and collections of objects organized from A to Z. And I mean this literally. Part of the museum actually has a sections labeled with all 26 letters of the alphabet and each letter stands for a word such as "spiele" for S which means "games" in German. This section was filled with collections of toys and games through history.

The first part of the museum showed a 3D model of Bremen color-coded to show what parts existed at various points in time.

Some other favorites that I saw include scale models of typical Bremen houses like giant dollhouses, the thumb screw collection (ouch!) and the care package from America shown above.

I took many photos, but my camera was acting up and many didn't turn out. These are the best of the rest.



After our visit to the museum, I kept myself busy while Regina helped her daughter with her homework for awhile and later that evening she prepared us a typical Bremisch speciality for dinner. This dish called "Knipp" looks like this when you buy it in the butcher shop.....
.... and after it is cooked and served with boiled potatoes, it looks like this....

Even though I had no idea what it was made of, it tasted absolutely delicious and smelled delightful. I recommend it if you are ever offered it, unless you happen to be vegetarian. Although I don't know the ingredients, it is definitely not vegetarian.

No comments: