Sunday, December 14, 2008

Bad weather made me early - really!

Today was my last day in Bremen. Most of it was spent buying some last minute items and visiting with Regina and her husband. The two main things I wanted to buy were Klaben (see photo above) for my parents and a new German/English dictionary for me. I was successful with both and managed to get my bags all packed and ready to go with plenty of time to spare.

Even though Bremen airport is small, I asked to be taken there two hours before my flight. This turned out to be fortunate for there had been fog delays all day in Frankfurt. This sounds like it would have made me late and not early, but because the earlier flight was so delayed, my flight was canceled and I was rebooked on the earlier but delayed flight. As a result of this complicated rescheduling, I not only had just a 20 minute wait in Bremen airport, but I arrived in Frankfurt 1 hour earlier than scheduled! Not a bad trick to arrive early in bad weather.

My hotel was connected via a bridge directly to the airport (selected for this very reason) and so within minutes I was in my room at the Sheraton. I immediately went back to the airport to buy a sandwich for dinner and returned with it to my room to watch "Wer wird Millionaire" - the German version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire.."

I stayed up rather late, knowing that I didn't want to wake up too early and have time on my hands. The room was comfortable and I made use of this last opportunity to immerse myself in the German language by watching German TV.

No comments: